(amended by inclusion of additional wording by Resolution passed at the 77th AGM held on Saturday, 26th February 2011)
01) The Association shall be called the Past Pupils’ Association of Holy Family Convent, Bambalapitiya (hereinafter referred to as “The Association”) and shall, for all intents and purposes, be the Main Parent Body representing all Past Pupils of Holy Family Convent Bambalapitya (“HFC PPA Main Body”). All other groups representing Past Pupils of Holy Family Convent Bambalapitya outside Sri Lanka, shall be henceforth known and referred to as a ‘branch group’ or a ‘sub-group’ of the HFC PPA Main Body.
(amended by resolution dated 22 February 1997); (amended by the inclusion of a new clause (f) by Resolution passed at the 77th AGM held on Saturday, 26th February 2011)
The Objects of the Association shall be to :
(a) Unite all Past Pupils and promote loyalty to their school;
(b) Render opportunities to Past Pupils to help students at school;
(c) Link and represent it’s members in the sphere of Catholic activity;
(d) To promote the well being of the members of the Association;
(e) Undertake activities relevant to and in furtherance of the objects referred to in paragraph (a), (b), (c), (d);
(f) Encourage the formation of Batch Groups comprising past pupils who shall all be Members of The Association (the only exception to same being those who are unable to obtain Membership in the Association, as they are unable to fulfill the ‘eligibility’ criteria set out in Rule 03), in order to have a wider reach, increase the database and foster greater support to the activities of The Association, PROVIDED THAT all funds raised by such Batch Groups, if it is so done in the name of or in aid of the development activities and/or upliftment of the Holy Family Convent Bambalapitya, then such Batch Group should obtain the prior consent of the Principal of Holy Family Convent, Bambalapitiya and/or the Executive Committee of The Association.
(amended by resolution dated 22 February 1997)
Membership in the Association shall be restricted to all Past Pupils who studied at Holy Family Convent, Bambalapitiya for not less than five (5) years.
Provided however that, this rule shall not apply to those Past Pupils who are Members of the Association on or before the date of coming into operation of this Rule.
(amended by resolution dated 21st February 2009)
4. (a) All members of the staff and all Past Pupils who are in Religious Orders shall be treated as Honorary Members of the Association, as long as they remain in such capacity.
(b) All members of the staff and all past pupils in Religious Orders who have served the school for fifteen (15) consecutive years or more be granted Honorary Life Membership of the Association
(amended by resolution dated 22 February 1997; Resolution dated 21st February 1998 & Resolution dated 22nd February 2014 which amended the Clause 5 by re-phrasing; amended by Resolution passed at the
86 th AGM held on Saturday, 29 th February 2020)
The Annual Membership Fee per Member shall be Rupees Two Hundred
and Fifty (Rs.250/-). A Member who defaults in payment of the Annual
Membership Fee for three consecutive years, shall forfeit her Membership
in the Association.
Provided however, if she wishes to rejoin the Association, such person shall do so on payment of arrears, the minimum being three years.
Life Membership Fee for Past Pupils who have left the School within the last five (5) years from the date of Application shall be Rupees Three Thousand (Rs.3,000/-) and for Past Pupils who have left the School over a period of five (5) years from the date of Application shall be Rupees Five Thousand (Rs.5,000/-).
If a member loses or misplaces a membership card she shall so inform the
joint secretaries in writing who will then make arrangements to issue a
duplicate membership card and a fee of Rupees Two Hundred and Fifty
(Rs.250/-) per card will be levied.
Rev. Mother Superior shall be the Patroness of the Association.
(amended by resolution dated 28th February 2004 by adding a sub-paragraph No.7(1)(f) and No.7(3) & by resolution dated 26th February 2005 by adding Clause 7(4))
7. (1) The Office Bearers of the Association shall be:
(2) The President shall nominate both her Secretaries, subject to the approval of the House.
(3) The Immediate Past President of the Association shall hold office only in the ensuing year, following her Presidency, in the Executive Committee.
(4) All Office Bearers and Committee Members shall be physically present at the Annual General Meeting.
(amended by resolution dated 24th February 2001, by including sub paragraph (c))
8. The Executive Committee of the Association shall consist of –
(a) The Office Bearers referred to in rule 7;
(b) Fifteen (15) Committee Members who shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting.
(c) A Co-ordinating Officer who shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting. The elected person should be a Past Pupil who is a member of the Association and a Member of the Office Staff or Teaching Staff or a Rev. Sister of Holy Family Convent, Bambalapitiya.
(amended by resolution dated 26th February 2005 by re-phrasing existing clause as 9(1) and by adding another clause as 9(2)
9(1). The Members of the Executive Committee referred to in rule 8 shall be elected at an Annual General Meeting for a period of one year.
(2) Nominations for the posts of 15 Committee Members, referred to in Rule 8(b) above, shall be made to the Joint Secretaries at least 7 days prior to the date of the Annual General Meeting, under registered cover.
The nomination form shall include the following particulars:-
Where there are more than 15 members nominated to the posts of Committee Members, the general membership shall elect only 15 members at the Annual General Meeting by voting on a show of hands.
In the event of their being no nominations received for the post of a Committee Member or Committee Members, such Committee Member or Committee Members shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting. Voting at the Annual General Meeting shall be by a show of hands.
There shall be an Auditor to the Association, who shall be elected at an Annual General Meeting for a period of one year.
No Member of the Committee shall hold office in any capacity for more than three Consecutive years.
However she will be eligible to hold office after a lapse of one year.
(amended by resolution dated 22 February 1997);
(amended by inclusion of the words “Special Appointees” to the heading and the insertion of a new clause (c) by Resolution passed at the 77th AGM held on Saturday, 26th February 2011)
12. (a) Special Committees for the purpose of carrying out any specific function, may also be appointed by the Executive Committee. The President, a Vice President, a Secretary and Treasurer shall be ex-officio members of all such Special Committees. All such Special Committees shall function under the direction of the Executive Committee.
(b) (i) Special Committee for the purpose of furthering the object mentioned in clause (d) of Rule 2 shall be elected by the membership at the Annual General Meeting. The President shall be an ex-officio member and other Members shall not be more than ten (10) including the President.
(ii) The members of the Special Committee referred to in sub paragraph (b)(i) above, shall be accountable to the membership of all their activities connected with the furtherance of the object in clause (d) of Rule 2.
(iii) The members of the Special Committee referred to in the sub paragraph (b)(i) above shall stand dissolved by the membership by an Annual General Meeting or Special General Meeting specially convened for this purpose if and when the membership is satisfied that the Special Committee referred to in sub-paragraph (b)(i) above is redundant.
(c) There shall be appointed and/or reappointed at every Annual General Meeting, a Representative from Every Batch, who shall be a Member of The Association, to be the contact person/ liaison between the Batch and the Executive Committee, and which Representative shall report to and support the Executive Committee whenever called upon or required to do so. However, such Representative need not be a Member of the Executive Committee of the Association.
13. (a) The President shall chair all meetings and in her absence, one of the four Vice-Presidents shall preside.
(b) The President shall have the power to direct the Secretary to convene meetings.
(c) Secretaries shall convene meetings and shall maintain a book of minutes of the proceedings of all meetings. They shall carry out all decisions made by the Executive Committee. They shall at the Annual General Meeting submit a report, duly approved by the Executive Committee, on the activities of the Association during the preceding year of office.
(d) The Treasurer shall receive all monies of the Association and shall maintain a true and accurate record of the accounts of the Association.
The Treasurer shall where and if necessary at every Executive Committee meeting table a summary of the Accounts stating the Bank balances and the Creditors and Debtors totals. She shall be responsible for getting the accounts audited and made available to the members in time for the Annual General Meeting.
14.(1) The Executive Committee shall manage the affairs of the Association, and shall be responsible for the disbursement of funds collected for specific purposes.
(2) The Executive Committee shall have the power to fill any vacancy that may occur in the Executive Committee during the course of the year.
15. (1) Any elected member of the Executive Committee who fails to attend three consecutive meetings of the Executive Committee without a valid reason, shall cease to be a member of such Committee.
(2) Secretaries shall inform the member of the dates of the three consecutive meetings she had not attended, and if no explanation is received within fourteen days from the member as regards her absence, the Committee shall fill such vacancy.
(3) Such a member who fails to give sufficient explanation as to her absence, shall not be eligible for re-election to the Committee either as an Office Bearer or as an Ordinary Member of the Committee at the next Annual General Meeting.
The Executive Committee, may by resolution, authorize the collection of voluntary contribution for the furtherance of the objects mentioned in Rule 2. All appeals for funds shall bear the signature of the President.
(amended by resolution dated 28th February 2004 by addition of sub paragraph (d); (by resolution dated 26th February 2005 by addition of sub paragraph (e); (amended by the rewording of clause (b) by Resolution passed at the 77th AGM held on Saturday, 26th February 2011; amended by the rewording of Clause (c) by Resolution passed at the 85th AGM held on Saturday, 23rd February 2019)
17. (a) All monies collected shall be handed over to the Treasurer who shall issue receipts to individual subscribers.
(b) The funds of the Association shall be deposited with any Bank or Banks in Sri Lanka as directed by the Executive Committee. All orders of withdrawals and cheques drawn up on the funds of the Association shall be signed by any two of the following Office Bearers –
(c) The Financial year of the Association shall end on the 31st day of December every year.
(d) Funds of the Association should be in compliance with objectives in Rule 2, and that the Executive Committee is empowered to disburse such funds upto a maximum of Rs 150,000/=. An amount to be spent on any special event, to be sanctioned at the Annual General Meeting.
However, an amount if any, in addition to the above limit will also have to be sanctioned at the Annual General Meeting, its maximum being another Rs 100,000/=.
Notwithstanding the ceiling imposed by sub-paragraph 17(d), the Executive Committee be empowered to disburse such funds of the Association for the express purpose of assisting the school, if and only when a special request is made by the Principal of Holy Family Convent, Bambalapitiya. The amount to be so disbursed to be decided upon by the Executive Committee according to the availability of funds, at its sole discretion.
18. (a) The Annual General Meeting and the Annual re-union of the Association shall be held in February every year, as the school was founded in February 1903
(b) All other celebrations shall be held at a time and place decided by the Executive Committee, depending on the condition prevailing at the time of holding such celebrations.
(c) An audited statement of accounts for the preceding financial year shall be presented by the Treasurer at the Annual General Meeting.
(d) Secretaries shall summon a Special General Meeting of the Association at the written request of five members of the Association within fourteen days (14) of the receipt of such request and at least seven (7) days notice shall be given to the membership stating the business to be transacted at such meeting. No other business shall be transacted at a Special General Meeting, other than that for which the meeting is convened.
The quorum at a Special General Meeting or at an Annual General Meeting shall be 50 members of the Association.
Meetings of the Executive Committee of which not less than seven (7) days notice shall be given, shall be held at least twice a term
All meetings of the Association shall be held in the convent premises with the permission of the Patroness.
(h) The quorum at an Executive Committee Meeting shall not be less than ten (10) members of such Committee.
19. (1) The Executive Committee shall call for nominations for President, Past Pupils’ Association, Holy Family Convent, Bambalapitiya, to be sent through the post to reach the Honorary Joint Secretaries two weeks prior to the Annual General Meeting.
(2) The Honorary Joint Secretaries shall stipulate the deadline by which nominations should reach them when notifying members as to the Annual General Meeting.
(3) In the event of there being more than one candidate, the names of such candidates shall be brought up at the Annual General Meeting and a vote taken by secret ballot.
(amended by resolution dated 26th February 2005 by deleting the phrase “unless prior sanction has been obtained in writing by such member”)
No member who is not present at the Annual General Meeting shall be eligible for election as an office bearer in the Committee.
21.(a) Notice of a resolution to be moved at an Annual General Meeting shall be given to the Secretary not less than seven (7) days before the date of such meeting.
(b) All resolutions shall be considered at an Executive Committee Meeting which shall be held not less than three (3) days before such Annual General Meeting.
(amended by resolution dated 26th February 2005 by adding the word SPECIAL before Clause 22(a) & by adding sub-paragraph (d))
22.(a) The rules of the Association may be amended by a resolution adopted at a General Meeting by a majority of two-thirds of the members present and voting.
(amended by the deletion of clause (d) “Familian Retirement Home Project Sub-Committee” and inclusion of a new clause (d) “Website Development and Maintenance Sub-Committee” by Resolution passed at the 77th AGM held on Saturday, 26th February 2011)
22.(b) The President with the consent and concurrence of her Committee and with the approval of the Patroness shall have the power when she considers in the best interest of the Association to take any steps necessary whether in contravention of the rules or otherwise to ensure the continuing existence and proper functioning of the Association.
(c) Matters not provided for the rules, shall be decided upon by the Patroness and the Executive Committee.
(d) Website Development and Maintenance Sub-Committee
A Special Committee, consisting of not more than seven (07) Members of The Association, including the President, a Secretary nominated from and out of the two Joint Secretaries, the Assistant Treasurer, the Website Administrator, nominated from within the Executive Committee and upto a maximum of three (03) other Members, nominated from within or without the Executive Committee, all of whom shall be Members of The Association, should be appointed Annually by the Executive Committee, to ensure the long-term sustenance and continued development and maintenance of the Website created by the HFC PPA Main Body – www.hfcppa.org.